[Clipart] new site design in progress

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Sep 10 07:45:18 PDT 2004

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

>> What if we make the quick submit mainly just an upload form with just a
>> browse and then when one hits browse, our script looks up the type of
>> file and then makes a second stage submission according to the filetype.
>> For example, if it is a package, then the 2nd stage upload form would
>> consider. Also, then we could have a second page with much more complete
>> info. Also, if that file that is being submitted already has complete
>> info, then why do we need a second page at all??? I think that our
>> submission process needs to be, or at least appear easy and enticing!!!
>> And, yes, I think it should be front and center in importance!!!
>
> Yes, this sounds like a good line of thinking.  It may be challenging to
> implement but sounds like it'd provide intuitive usability.  If it can
> be done that way, I bet it'd work well.

The upload script is already smart enough to present the user with an
additional form if it doesn't get all the information it's looking
for.  Try uploading an SVG that doesn't have any metadata embedded,
and don't specify one of the required fields (e.g., Author) sometime,
and see what it does.  The finer points of how this is handled could
be improved (e.g., it currently doesn't remember the filetype already
specified and fill it in -- an oversight on my part when I added
support for more than just SVG), but the basic framework is there.

I've taken submit-steps.inc and reworked it a bit for compactness and
have checked the result into CVS as submit-compact.inc, which we can
use as a starting point.  Have a look at it, and let me know what you
think.  Ideally, someone who knows LiveScript/JavaScript/ECMAScript
much better than I do should fix this so that it only needs one
keyword field and appends the additional keywords to that one field
with commas, instead of rotating them into the additional fields (of
which there are only three on the compact form, but that's still very
likely too many for the compact form and yet not enough for fully
classifying some images).