Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Mon Sep 13 19:06:22 PDT 2004

Carl Worth wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:51:02 +0900, Jon Phillips wrote:
>

>>Yes, the design won, but moved it along through design evolution phases.
>>And was decided in chat channel to make it cooler and not so aggressive
>>with orange, etc....those are nice though.
>>

>Personally, I find the original about as aggressive as autumn leaves, or
>maybe a sunset.
>

>>The shadows were made to make printing and consistency more
>>professional.
>>
>>Take it easy...this logo already has 4 colors and in the old way had
>>like 6. So, better to compress and make more solid.
>>

>If there were a situation where color reduction is necessary, (say for a
>monochrome rendering of the logo), an alternate version of the original
>logo could be prepared without the shadows. That would still be quite
>recognizable and would reproduce well.
>
>But color reduction/modification till doesn't explain all the changes.
>The colored rectangles are less rounded, and the broader black outlines
>have a different character than the elegance of the original file
>lines. Even the meaning has changed. The original suggests, to me at
>least, clippings of a thin material such as paper. The modified version
>looks either like outlines with a brush of inconsistent width or like
>thick tiles which don't suggest clipart as much to me.
>
>My opinion doesn't mean much, as I am definitely not an artist. And I
>didn't even vote in the logo contest. But I was curious to see if there
>was consensus for the changes. Was the original artist involved or
>consulted in the modifications?
>
>-Carl

I must say that I personally liked my original logo better because of
the design dessisions that I did at that time, but if  people that are
more into the project thinks that it was necessary modify it, then that
is all right to me. It is public domain after all and the customer is
always right.
- Andreas