Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Sep 14 22:14:04 PDT 2004

Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> I suppose for screenshots of compositions using openclipart we would
> not necessarily want to insist on it being public domain but we
> would have to be clear about what we want to be able to use the
> image for.

Besides displaying the screenshots on the OCAL website and
distributing them with/in OCAL promotional materials, is there
anything else that we need permission to do with them?

> We need at least enough metadata for a description and an ALT tag.

I would think the alt attribute could just be "[screenshot]".  Right
now the script asks for Author and Description -- is that enough?

> All the screenshots so far have been created using Inkscape

No, there are at least three using OpenOffice.

> but the application used might be an interesting bit of metadata.

I suspect that can go in the description, but usually it will be
obvious.

> (I never got around to submitting my sample sheet of gradients, have
> it around somewhere but no preview.)

The screenshot submission script can make a preview automagically.

>>  * Do we want to require the submitter to upload also a reduced
>>    267x200 preview version at the same time, or should we generate
>>    them automatically?  (I think there's a recipe in this Perl
>>    Cookbook for that using Image::Magick...)
>
> The option might be useful for some images, where it would better to
> crop them to produce a preview rather than just resize them.

Right, that's what I did with the screenshot I made at work, the one
showing using the Windows logo and stuff in a flier about upcoming
computer classes.  The whole screenshot shows the whole desktop,
including my Gnome panels and stuff, but the preview is cropped a
little to just the most interesting part of the document, where the
clipart is.

> Automatically generating a preview where none is provided would be a
> bonus.

I currently have it set so that generating the preview automatically
is the default, but the user doing the upload can select "use this
preview" instead and upload a custom preview, if desired.  The text on
the form says what dimensions the preview should be, but currently
this is not enforced.  (If we wanted to enforce it, that would be one
line of code.  I don't know how it would impact performance, though,
and it seems unnecessary at least for now.  If it becomes a problem we
can always add it.)