Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Sep 15 03:55:57 PDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:14:04 -0400
> From: Jonadab the Unsightly One <jonadab at bright.net>
> To: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress
>
> Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:
>
> > I suppose for screenshots of compositions using openclipart we would
> > not necessarily want to insist on it being public domain but we
> > would have to be clear about what we want to be able to use the
> > image for.
>
> Besides displaying the screenshots on the OCAL website and
> distributing them with/in OCAL promotional materials, is there
> anything else that we need permission to do with them?
>
> > We need at least enough metadata for a description and an ALT tag.
>
> I would think the alt attribute could just be "[screenshot]".  Right
> now the script asks for Author and Description -- is that enough?

Screenshot on its own is not all that useful, I was thinking at least

Screenshot of clipart phone|knife|scorpion|whatever
but it is on page called Screenshots on a site called, Openclipart so the
most important thing to put in the description is what is
actually shown.

> > All the screenshots so far have been created using Inkscape
>
> No, there are at least three using OpenOffice.

> > but the application used might be an interesting bit of metadata.
>
> I suspect that can go in the description, but usually it will be
> obvious.

Obvious to you and me maybe because we already know those applications but
not necessarily to our target audience.
It would be good for OpenOffice and Inkscape if we make it clear that that
is what we are using.

I am sure some users will even want to know what themes people are using.

> > (I never got around to submitting my sample sheet of gradients, have
> > it around somewhere but no preview.)
>
> The screenshot submission script can make a preview automagically.
>
> >>  * Do we want to require the submitter to upload also a reduced
> >>    267x200 preview version at the same time, or should we generate
> >>    them automatically?  (I think there's a recipe in this Perl
> >>    Cookbook for that using Image::Magick...)

All the rest sounds good.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/