Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Thu Sep 16 21:15:54 PDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Alan Horkan wrote:
> Given the sort of abuse we already have in the Wiki I think only approved
> images should be publically displayed, the trick is making it easy to
> approve an image.

Note that the reason we're having abuse in the wiki is because the
particular wiki software we used is used widely enough that bots have
been written to take advantage of it.  It will be a long while before
ocal is popular enough to make it worth abusing in this way.  However,
the point is still valid that we need a check in place to prevent this
from happening.

> >  * Do we want to require the submitter to upload also a reduced
> >    267x200 preview version at the same time, or should we generate
> >    them automatically?  (I think there's a recipe in this Perl
> >    Cookbook for that using Image::Magick...)
>
> The option might be useful for some images, where it would better to crop
> them to produce a preview rather than just resize them.
> Automatically generating a preview where none is provided would be a
> bonus.

I've thought a bit about thumbnails in relation to the dms.  What I
think may work best for this is to provide a mechanism for attaching
"processors" to dms that do some sort of operation on any submitted
document matching a given set of conditions.  So for instance, there
could be a processor that resizes documents of type 'screenshot' to a
certain size, then checks in that as an alternative render for the
screenshot document.

Now, since this reduced preview image is handled just like other docs,
if there's a problem with it, the author can choose to upload a
replacement for it.  If in doing so they mess it up, they or someone
else can upload a replacement for that, etc. until it's correct.  Then,
for the browse tool or for generating packages, we pull whatever the
latest rev of the thumbnail was.