[Clipart] corruption on website

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sun Sep 19 10:08:28 PDT 2004

Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> writes:

>> I simply clicked: "Browse" and then "Computer" and the images
>> overlapped on the right side.
>
> this is because the new 3 column layout leave less horizintaly
> space.

I think there may be more to it than that.  Excessive columns can
cause the page to be wider than the viewport, in which case horizontal
scrollbars will appear, but excessive columns do not normally cause
overlap.  Overlap is a sign of a flaw in or misapplication of the CSS
usually.  In this case it might be because the CSS was written for the
main page and applied to the browse interface, which may be structured
differently.  I'm guessing here, though; I haven't had time to really
diagnose the problem, though I have been aware of it since Thursday or
Friday.  (I was going to say something on the list when I figured out
what exactly was wrong, but Jeremy beat me to it.)

We do need to figure it out, though, and do something about it.
Resizing the window (Firefox 0.9.3), I find that the overlap doesn't
go away until it is 1600 pixels wide, which is more screen real estate
than most users really have at their disposal.

At first I thought that this was maybe a Gecko bug, but it also
happens in MSIE and Opera, so I think not.