[Clipart] upload_svg.cgi and shell.php

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Wed Sep 22 02:10:46 PDT 2004

we have two pages generated by cgi scripts: one is upload_scg.cgi and
another is navigate.
for integration with the website upload_svg.cgi uses the Perl module
OpenClipart::Web and navigate uses the PHP script shell.php.
i want to argue why using shell.php is better and why we should consider
using the same method in upload_svg.cgi (and when the time will come in
upload_screenshot.cgi)
- syncronization: when a change is made in the website layout (header,
footer, sidebars) it is automatically picked by shell.php.
OpenClipart::Web should be separately updated in order to include it. a
symthom is the 'Incoming Clip Art' box from right sidebar: using
shell.php is live but using OpenClipart:Web it contains an older shapshot;
- less maintenance: using only one integration method, simply we don't
have to maintain one additional module;
- simplicity: i confess being a PHP person, with only basic Perl
knowledge but using shell.php involves 6 lines of Perl code and 4 lines
of PHP code and OpenClipart::Web consist of several hundred lines of
code in itself

--
nicu