[Clipart] Openclipart.org and flags

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Sat Sep 25 01:58:13 PDT 2004

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> Hi everyone,

hi Christian,

> Ok, I have finally managed to get to a point where I am ready to move
> the SVG flag collection from sodipodi website to openclipart.org. So I
> hope you guys are prepared to help me with how to do the practicalities.
> I have been rather shamefully inactive in openclipart so I have no idea
> how things are set up in regards to website and archives or how you guys
> see the flags as being packaged.

i think the flag collection is an important and welcomed addition!

for clipart images to be accepted (pass validation before release),
those should contain valid metadata -
http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MetadataDiscussion
one easy way to add metadata to a large number of files is to use the
script svg_annotate, which is a part of the SVG::Metadata module -
http://search.cpan.org/~bryce/SVG-Metadata-0.15/

at this point you may consider (is not yet mandatory) to add keywords
(can be done also with svg_annotate)
http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Keyword_Organization
personally, i would att at least the flag or flags keyword

> I am more than willing to do the job needed, but I guess that means I
> would need to get access to CVS and or similar and information on how
> the site works.

i think you should ask Bryce or Jon for CVS access:
http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UserManagement

> I would also need some input on how you want the flags moved into
> openclipart, should it be part of the base package, a separate package
> and so on.

is enough to make a tarball of your flags and upload them to the site,
at the next release (until now we had releases at the end of every
month) these should be included in the release packages.

at this moment we does not have a clear procedure on how to move images
from releases in the browsable repository
(http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate) and some manual work should be
done, but this is expected in the future to be based on keywords

--
nicu