[Clipart] Logo, blue on blue.

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Sep 26 16:11:41 PDT 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Glenn Randers-Pehrson wrote:

> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:58:06 -0400
> From: Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp at comcast.net>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>
> Cc: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Logo, blue on blue.
>
> At 11:09 PM 9/26/2004 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> >This Gif on the lower left looks fine and has sharp black edges like the
> >OpenClipart.org Logo.
>
> I guess I'm more critical (wimpy?) than you then.

:)

if you are working with photos it is understandable but my interest are
more in cartoons and pixel graphics.

my point was that I do understand but that I didn't think it was
necessary but that is a matter of styles and taste, this is a situation
where we can both be right.

> The curved edges of the photo and of the black shadow look quite ragged
> to me in the GIF compared to the PNG.

the edges are a bit ragged and getting the GIF to look better is less easy
and would require some pixel editing but if it were my graphic I'd do it.

unlike your example the clipart logo has a relatively dark (navy blue)
background so the black edges would not be as noticable.

> Here's a simpler page without those other issues, just showing the
> curved edge of the photo, without the drop shadow:
> http://pmt.sourceforge.net/opossum/antialias.html

Whoever decides to fix it gets to decide how to fix it, so it doesn't
matter what we think it should be done (1x1 pixel background image!).
Intersting dicussion nonetheless but I never intended to go into this much
detail.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/