[Clipart] Problems with svg_annotate

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Sep 29 10:49:29 PDT 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
> > What we really need is an editing capability, but this'll be different
> > because different programs produce svg metadata in different ways.  I
> > think we'll need to parse the full SVG XML into a tree and then do some
> > smart searching to extract, change, and re-save the metadata from the
> > tree.  (Currently it has an svg metadata template that it prints into the
> > file, but that's only really useful if the svg has no metadata already.)
>
> i think a simple method is to read metadata from file (in the same way
> as in svg_validate), delete entire metadata and add a brand new one
> based on the template filled with information gathered in the first step.
> the downside is that this procedure will erase all metadata not
> contained in our standard template.

That is what it does presently.  I don't know why it isn't deleting the
metadata for your files; presumably it is not recognizing the way
Inkscape is formatting the metadata.  I started looking at it last night
but hadn't recreated the problem (i.e., the test files I was using were
working correctly).  If I can cancel my plans for tonight I'll take a
deeper look at it and hopefully have a solution out by tomorrow.