Fwd: Re: [Clipart] metadata: aren't the keywords actually categories (and can keywords be added)?

Mike Traum mtraum at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 05:10:48 PDT 2005

Andrew,
Regarding hard links, I thought it was the same as a copy (oddly
enough - I've been working on unix/linux systems for 10+ years).
After doing a bit of research, it appears that it's not (it's an
inode reference) on ext2 and ext3 filesystems, and probably others.

And, tar does support this. Zip does not, but that's to be expected
and proabably acceptable. So, I agree, this would be the best
solution by far. You'd have a download that isn't bloated becuase of
duplicate files. You'd have an extraction that isn't bloated on
filesystems that support it. The only issue is extraction filesystems
doesn't support it (Windows XP / NTFS doesn't, I believe), but I
think we can all live with that.

It appears the 'link' command in perl can make hardlinks, but it
looks like it will fail if a hardlink cannot be made (or, maybe it'll
just copy?), so this will need to be taken into account in the perl
packaging scripts.

Also, this does place the requirement that packages be generated on a
filesystem that support's this. Is this acceptable to the openclipart
Release Manager, whoever he may be?

Regading the data definition, I definitely agree that having the data
in the images is the highest priority. And I also agree that doing a
data definition now will likely result in changes. But, right now
there is NO data definition for certain things that are critical to
write the application I'm proposing. For example, I previously had
discussions about transforming the .idx in the package to xml, as
well as a future planned 'hierarchy-en.xml' file. The hierarchy file
may not be necessary for the clip organizer app, by an index
certainly would be of great help (especially since it's already
there, but in perl form). Otherwise, importing a openclipart package
into a client app will take FOREVER, being that every individual file
would need to be read and parsed.

Again, thanks for clarifying the hardlink thing - I think that's a
perfect solution...

mike