[Clipart] PR for 0.16

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Aug 1 10:37:30 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 10:16 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:42:01AM -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > Patricia FIDI <fidipat at levillage-afrique.com> writes:
> > > Certainly, english or american is more international than spanish
> > > and french but imagine you have to surf on an another foreign site
> > > even if you know to speak spanish or french.  It won't be easy as
> > > for me.
>
> I think Patricia has a good point about the need to provide OCAL in
> other languages, as it grows and becomes a worldwide resource.
>
> While I don't know if we currently have enough translators to translate
> the website, it would be wise if we at least ensure that we have the
> mechanisms to allow handling translations, so that when someone who does
> have the time and skill to do translating, they can do it and keep it in
> sync in a straightforward way.
>
> Does anyone know of good technical approaches for handling this?  I have
> to imagine this is an oft-solved problem in Open Source and that there
> must be some good practices we could reuse...  Ideas?
>
> (Obviously, a simple way to do it would be to simply have separate
> copies of all the .php files in each language, but I imagine it'd be
> extremely painful to keep those all in sync if we make architectural or
> design changes to the site.)

Is there a bug for this?

There are good ways to do localization using PHP, but right now I don't
think we have the resources to do translation. This task is three-fold
IMO:

1.) Website translation

2.) Documentation translation

2.) Clip Art translation

I have implemented a system in PHP for doing translation and its
straight forward to use PHP and gettext. If someone files a bug for
these three tasks, I will follow up with a proposal for website
translation.

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org