[Fwd: Re: [Clipart] Nazi flag]

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at digitaldistribution.com
Thu Aug 4 05:04:20 PDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Clipart] Nazi flag
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:47:42 +0100
From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at digitaldistribution.com>
To: kevin at wixsonit.com
<42F19D80.90103 at wixsonit.com>	<42F1B82B.9060708 at apsro.com>
<42F1CAB8.4020002 at wixsonit.com>

Kevin Wixson wrote:

> Now, I don't want to download anything with child porn in it. Not just
> not see it, but not have it on my computer, period. I have a right to
> protect myself from legal prosecution for possession of child porn, in
> addition to not wanting to see it. If I can't be assured that child porn
> will not be in what I'm downloading, then I'm not going to download it.
> The guy who wrote the message about the Nazi flag isn't going to
> download the library if it has the Nazi flag in it. If he's in France,
> he has a legal concern.

Or if he's in Germany or Russia.

I think you've made a very solid point. I should be able confident that
what I'm downloading is ok. And I shouldn't be expected to come up with
every possible keyword related to illegal stuff that I don't want.

I think that the base download should (for example) not contain porn
unless the user specifically requests porn. Ditto for anything that is
illegal anywhere (e.g. Nazi flag).

> As a contributor (however minor,) don't I have some say into whether or
> not the project is poisoned, such that nobody will dare download it and
> use it for fear of what it might contain? I certainly think so. I want
> people to use my contributions. I want OCAL to succeed, and not become
> an irrelevant vanity project with exactly five contributors.

That's a good point. We *do* want people using OCAL...

> As a place to start, a minimum standard should be that the images
> included in the library should be generally legal and won't get me
> arrested for having it on my hard drive or distributing it. Why is that
> so much to ask?

I think that "generally legal" is the most reasonable request in the
world. I agree with you.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--