[Clipart] Nazi flag

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Aug 4 12:16:25 PDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Patricia FIDI wrote:

> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:53:55 +0200
> From: Patricia FIDI <fidipat at levillage-afrique.com>
> To: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Nazi flag
>
> Porn sites with agreeing adults ask users if they are adult or
> child before to enter.
> -----------------------------------
>
> We won't see the the end of this discussion, you should reserve
> a part of OCAL for images wich can be a problem for religious
> persons (they have the right to be not hurt too by their belief),
> for chilren users...
>
> You will leave choice to users !
> -----------------------------------
>
> *BUT* all porn child images have to be delete.
> Why ? Because a child doesn't accept to be hurt in this way
> by an adult. So you won't find anywhere on earth a law which
> allow porn child.

Photographic child pornography is generally considered evidence of a
crime.  Even a version coverted to vector graphics might be considered
evidence to a crime.  Hopefully it is not something we are likely to
have to deal with.  It is more likely we will have to deal with "rude
cartoons" featuring sexualisation of very young looking characters (some
Anime cartoons include such depictions).

I would prefer if we discouraged people from contributing depections of
sexual intercourse but I would hope we could find space for artistic
nudity and through appropriate categorisations keep it away from those who
would prefer not to see it.

As the collection gets larger and larger we me want to distribute a
smaller selection of the total repository.  Cutting the collection down to
"office clipart" and generally reusable bits of SVG and avoiding more
complex compositions might help a little and brings us back in line with
our original purpose of providing _clipart_ rather than anything else.

Anyone else remember when Microsoft got in trouble for their
categorisation when a search for Monkeys turned up something unexpected?
http://www.chazznet.net/News/newsview.htm#Monkeys
Sometimes less keywords are better than more, personally I try and keep it
to around 5 but as a rule of thumb 7 plus or minus 2 might be a good idea.

Yes, I am trying to change the subject :)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com