[Clipart] how about wallpaper..

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sun Aug 14 18:46:16 PDT 2005

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> > I suppose, but for wallpaper, wouldn't most people rather have
> > something raytraced, or a photograph?  The POVray gallery, or the
> > IRTC, or sxc.hu, seem to me like good sources of wallpaper.  I know
> > they don't scale very well, but how many people regularly change the
> > dimensions of their desktops?
>
> As a matter of fact, I happened to run headlong into this problem only a
> month ago.  I was setting up a dual-head system at work, and wanted
> wallpaper, but pretty much all the wall paper out there is designed for
> something more towards a 4:3 aspect ratio than an 8:3 ratio.

Umm,  SVG's scalability doesn't fix the aspect ratio problem.  If you
have an SVG image, and you change the aspect ratio significantly when
you render it, it's still going to look stretched.

> I did finally find some wallpaper of the correct aspect ratio but
> didn't care for the picture, so ended up just turning it off.

On Gnome, I haven't cared much about wallpaper since I discovered the
liberating possibility of using drawers and launchers instead of
desktop icons; since then, I no longer need to compulisively minimize
everything all the time, so I can go for months without *seeing* my
wallpaper.

On Windows systems, I still use wallpaper.

> Anyway, it wasn't that big of a deal for me.  I knew I could
> probably download something from deviant art and render it out, but
> I usually have the screen fully plastered with xterms anyway.  But I
> guess this serves as a definite case in point that scalable
> wallpaper *does* have a use and would be worthwhile.

Except, as noted, scalability doesn't help much with the aspect ratio.
4:3 is still 4:3, whether it's pixels to pixels or inches to inches or
meters to meters.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/