[Clipart] storing hashes

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Aug 18 16:26:35 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 13:42 -0400, Greg Steffensen wrote:
> I'm working on the OCAL interface for Inkscape, and am wondering if a
> specific addition to the DMS api would be possible to accomodate it.
> When I proposed implementing this thing, multiple people suggested
> that I make it easy for the interface to access clipart repositories
> other than OCAL proper, including some kind of shared system
> repository at /usr/share/clipart (on Linux).  In brief, I implemented
> this by having the interface search a given list of repositories in
> sequence, and if a particular image is available from more than one
> repository, its retrieved only from the first repository on the list
> (this is supposed to be vaguely analagous to the multi-tiered caching
> systems processors use to access memory).
>
> This requires some way to identify images uniquely though, so that
> duplicates can be detected, and for lack of a better alternative, I'm
> using the md5 hash of the svg xml contents.  I have this working
> correctly for a local repository as described above, but would like to
> know if the eventual SOAP (or whatever) api intended for programmatic
> access could return, in addition to a list of image ids of some sort,
> their hashes.

I think this sounds wise. This would be useful as well across the wires
for identifying files. Bryce, what do you think?

> I've made this optional in the interface... if a repository doesn't
> return hashes, then whatever images it finds are just retrieved.  Of
> course, I could calculate the md5 hashes dynamically after retrieval
> to prevent duplicates from being displayed, but that would still waste
> OCAL's bandwidth and the user's time.  So I'm wondering if this scheme
> seems reasonable, and whether OCAL could support it.  Any ideas?

Greg, this seems like a sensible approach to me. Jonadab, could any of
this be rolled into what you are working on for indexing the clip art
collection?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org