[Clipart] Copyright

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Aug 26 00:50:15 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 08:39 +0200, Peter Mathijssen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My first mail here, but you have to start somewhere.
>
> I made a BSD Daemon avatar for someone. I would have posted it here but
> mailed Marshall Kirk McKusick, the copyright holder of the likeliness of
> the BSD Daemon.
>
> This was my message:
> =======================
>
> Hello,
> >
> > I made someone a BSD Daemon avatar and put the original on my own website.
> > I hope that's OK with you?
> >
> > You can find it here:
> > http://www.mijnplekophetnet.nl/index.php?page=17&section=2
> >
> > I put:
> > ========================
> > Use of the likeliness of the BSD Daemons
> > <http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html> for profitable gain
> > requires the consent of Brian Tao <mailto:taob at risc.org> (creator of the
> > "power" logo) and Marshall Kirk McKusick <mailto:mckusick at mckusick.com>
> > (trademark holder for the BSD Daemon image).
> > ========================
> > below the graphic.
> >
> > I almost always put my graphics on openclipart.org. But with this one i
> > guess it cannot because of the copyright?
> >
> > With regards,
> >
> > Peter Mathijssen
>
> ===========================
> This was his responce:
>
> =========================
>
> I prefer that the BSD Daemon be used in the context of BSD software.
> So, if you are using the Daemon in some way connected with BSD
> software (FreeBSD, NetBSD, or OpenBSD), then use of the daemon
> is appropriate. It appears that your usage is appropriate and you
> have put the appropriate message up on your site. I do request
> that you NOT put it up on openclipart.org as many people feel
> that that gives them unlimited rights to use the artwork there
> which is what has lead to many inappropriate uses of the Daemon.
> It is not my intention to start another one. I just posted this here, because it is the response, of one of the copyright holders, of some of the images on openclipart.

Yes, Peter, we really need to go through the submissions and remove
several that are in violation...it is actually really bad that we have
so many of these in our collection.

Thanks for forwarding this email...

You might file a bug through our bug tracker accessible from the main
page of the site.

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org