[Clipart] Problems with the website during/after submission

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Wed Jan 5 22:49:25 PST 2005

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:
>>Why does the script need to check the filetype. It seems that this
>>should automatically be checked for, right?
>

> I'm not at all sure it's technically possible to guess right 100% of
> the time.  I don't know enough about all of the file formats we
> support to know if there is reliable identification magic for all of
> them and, if so, that it is.  SVG would be possible to check
> definitively, I think, but the formula for doing so is somewhat
> complex.

i think we should detect the file type *only* when the image is
submitted using the simple form on the front page and *only* detect if
the file is SVG.
as i understand it, the purpose of that form was to provide a quick way
for regular contributors to submit a file (which file is expected to be
already made compliant - having metadata). if we add additional steps,
this beat it's original purpose: to be quick and simple. in addition, i
would like that after a successful submission using this quick form the
result page to not be the full submit page, but instead the front page,
to have access to the quick method again.

> _For now_ we rely on the user to tell us the format.

as an extreme compromise, we can add back to the front page a file type
selector, with SVG selected as default

--
nicu