[Clipart] OpenClipart and Debian.

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Wed Jan 12 02:30:10 PST 2005

This issue gives me a feeling of deja vu :) Anyway don't think the
legalness of certain flags in certain countries should affect a neutral
organization like Debian in their packaging choices. The flag of Taiwan
is illegal in China afaik for instance, so if special care should be
taken for Germany, then China with is much bigger population deserves
even bigger consideration. Wouldn't be suprised if there is a Tamil flag
which is illegal in Sri Lanka, a South Sudanese flag which is illegal in
Sudan. A Khmer Rouge flag which is illegal in Khambodia etc.

In short Debian as not being part of any of these conflicts should not
even try to get involved with sorting out flags as it only leads to a
lot of headaches and it makes Debian take a side in many conflicts. That
Germany tries to distance themselves from symbols of their past by
banning them is their problem, and should be handled by people in those
respective countries, like Suse if they decide to package the clipart
collection. That said I would be suprised if the ban of the nazi flag
includes collections like this which have educational and illustrative
uses. I mean even in Germany a book about second world war would be
allowed to include these images I would hope.

Christian