[Clipart] OpenClipart and Debian.

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Wed Jan 12 03:44:28 PST 2005

[Cc:'ing the Debian maintainer of openclipart]

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 12. Januar 2005 05:14 schrieben Sie:
> Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > Now, they do have one serious concern, and that's the presence of the
> > Nazi flag in the gallery. It's not just a matter of political correctness
> > or sensitivity. This flag is illegal in Germany and possibly other
> > countries.
> >
> > Is there any chance that this flag will be removed from the archive? Or
> > that there will be an alternate clipart download without it, or any other
> > problematic material that is found?
>
> I don't have a problem with anyone removing any clip art from the final
> tarball, honestly. Our system will eventually allow for anyone to make

We are doing this now. The openclipart author reacted to that release-crticial
bug very fast and repackaged the tarball and the deb without that flag. It
still is suboptimal becuase it needs repacking everytime and the ideal is to
just be able to do ln -s....

> So, if they don't want the nazi flag, then take it out. I would just say
> that somewhere that the resulting package is a sampling of the clip art
> available at openclipart.org (as the archive is constantly growing anyhow).

Currently, everything is included AFAIS.

> I think that the archive at openclipart.org can be the most broad amount of
> clip art. I would also say that our service is more akin to a public
> library, or another historical institution. I'm sure that there is a
> picture of a nazi flag in Germany at a library or in historical archives.

That seems to be exceptions. I am not exactly sure about the law but I *think*
in documentation movies/books etc. this is allowed. Indiana Jones IIRC was
shown with the flag also...

> Now, are they actually asking us to provide packages that have things
> removed? I think that is a different matter. I think that what we are
> providing is but one sample of a tarball tha our site produces. Maybe this
> is similar to some open source project releasing their own SID or

deb ;-)

> RPM...well the distro might actually want to tailor that a bit more to
> include in their distro, right?

As I said above, it is possible but why bother if it simply could be removed?

Regards,

Rene
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene at debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73