[Clipart] OpenClipart and Debian.

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Wed Jan 12 21:34:36 PST 2005

Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at math.umd.edu> writes:

> Flag burning is illegal in the states. Isn't that censorship?

You know, that's news to me.  Last I checked, flag burning was
protected political speech.  It is (if done improperly, outside the
context of a respectful flag-disposal ceremony) deeply offensive to
many people, and it is a violation of the Flag Code that the Boy
Scouts of America promotes and that patriotic people try to follow
insofar as they are aware of it, but where did you hear that it's
illegal?

> This is what I propose: Divide the archive into categories:
>
>   * UN and Olympic flags.
>   * Other flags.
>   * Company logos.
>   * Everything else.

We already have a much finer granularity than this.  Most of the flags
have the keyword "Flags" (or "flags") in their metadata, so if you
should happen to want to filter out all the flags, you'll be able to
do that.  We do need to do some authority control, to unify the case
of that keyword and to strip leading space; also, the flags of
Bretagne, Citt Di Torino, Ile de France, Kernow, and Piemonte, as well
as the waving Romanian flag and the waving white flag, are lacking the
keyword as of 0.09; I'll try to get it added to them for 0.10, so that
they can be filtered by people who are deeply offended by flags.

Why anyone should find flags offensive is a mystery to me, though.
I cannot think of any image in our entire collection that I would
consider more harmless and inoffensive than the flags.  I can identify
with the person who commented about bunnies.