[Clipart] Guidelines for labeling content

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jan 18 10:35:54 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:52:32 -0800 (PST), Bryce Harrington wrote:
>    * Keywords to identify controversial/objectionable/illicit images
>      are definitely acceptable.

I think an important point that has been raised is that keywords
should provide objective descriptions of the content, (eg. flag,
Christian, nudity, etc.).

As such, I would recommend the labeling should steer clear from
subjective or judgmental words, (eg. "objectionable"), or
categorizations that may be limited to particular regions,
(eg. "illicit").

Even given objective evidence of controversy, I'm not sure a
categorization of "controversial" makes sense as almost any image
could be the source of some controversy.

>    * There are probably other controversial topics besides the NAZI
>      symbology that should be so marked

Every image should have multiple words describing it. The metadata is
an important part of what OCAL is about, right? I don't think any
separate system needs to be invented here.

-Carl