[Clipart] Authority Control

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sun Jan 23 17:30:18 PST 2005

I've checked in some further improvements to
clipart-authority-control.pl, and it seems now to be mostly working,
though I do want to test it a bit more, and I need to add an option
for stripping off leading and trailing whitespace from keywords.

I've run it over (a copy of) the 0.9 release, and after some basic
consolidation (such as case folding) it came up with the statistics
below.  (Keywords that only occur once in the whole collection are not
listed.)  I'd like to have a couple of additional sets of eyeballs
besides mine look over this list.  I know there are pairs of keywords
in there that are functionally equivalent and should be combined.

There are some that I already know need to be combined:
bug,bugs
mammal,mammals
bird,birds
animal,animals

Those may be combined already on the list below, as are versions of
keywords that differ only in capitalization.  Plus I also already know
we need to strip leading whitespace.  And I already know we want to
remove the "unsorted" keyword from images that aren't in the unsorted
directory.  But I'm sure there are more on the list than that.  For
example, are "action" and "actions" used in the same sense?  What
about "application" and "apps"?

Here's the whole list:
  598   action
  495   unsorted