[Clipart] 0.15 Release

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Thu Jul 7 23:29:44 PDT 2005

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:
>
> [Write permissions on incoming folder]
>

>>Really, this needs to be changed. Jonadab, can you do this?
>

> I don't understand ACLs well enough.
>
> Also, right now I can't log in, because the system with my private key
> on it isn't booting.  But even if I resolve that, I still don't have
> the Access-Control-List foo to solve this one.  The directory has
> clipart as its group and is chmod g+rwx, so it just about has to be an
> ACL issue.  I don't grok ACLs, and have just been using getfacl and
> setfacl to copy the old ACL from the previous incoming directory each
> time.

indeed, the directory has the correct permissions:
drwxrwxr-x+  2 jonadab  clipart       4096 2005-07-07 11:58 incoming

but the files inside it not:
-rwxrwxr--+ 1 www-data www-data  15273 2005-07-04 01:17 goat_simmy_01.gif
-rwxrwxr--+ 1 www-data www-data   1509 2005-07-04 01:17 goat_simmy_01.rdf

and this is expected, because the files are saved here by Apache and
have the apache user and group (www-data).

files inside a directory does not automatically inherit ACLs from the
directory, they have  ACLs from the use who write them

as a consequence, I can rename "incoming" to "incoming-pre-0.16", but
the only thing allowed to "goat_simmy_01.gif" is to read it.

--
nicu