[Clipart] Recent fd.o disk IO is our issue

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Jul 8 06:34:43 PDT 2005

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> We should think about how to speed up the navigate engine and fix
> the security problem in the navigate and screenshot
> scripts. Thoughts?

The navigate script probably could be redesigned to read just one
index file, which could be generated as part of the release process.
That would also eliminate the path security issue as a side-effect.
Of course, the img tags would still link to the individual files, but
that's static web-serving stuff and should be okay.

I am a little surprised that the screenshot script has the path
security issue, since I *thought* I designed it to generate all of its
own filenames, not using user-supplied ones.  But I may have
overlooked something, such as a case where the script links back to
itself with an indication of which file is wanted.  (If so, that could
be sanitized with a regex that only allows reasonable filename
characters; slash certainly isn't needed.)  I'd check, but I'll have
to get my workstation fixed first.  If someone else wants to check it,
without a lot of familiarity with its internals, try turning on
taint-checking on the shebang line and see what turns up in the error
log when you access it; that may point you to the right place to look.

I think we should try to avoid being a heavy burden on fdo, especially
if it's unnecessary, and we certainly should try to avoid security
problems.