[Clipart] character set on http://www.openclipart.org/ pages

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sat Jul 9 17:49:40 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 19:42 +0000, Jonathan Leighton wrote:
> The main page is served as UTF-8, but "/cgi-bin/navigate" is ISO-8859-1.
> It should be changed in the HTTP header, not using HTML, but first we
> need to be sure that won't screw everything up? We should definitely be
> using unicode throughout IMHO.
>
> Anyway, to change it we need "AddDefaultCharset UTF-8" in the .htaccess
> of cgi-bin.
>
> Jon
>
> Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form wrote:
>
> >Name: João Palhoto Matos
> >E-mail: jmatos at math.ist.utl.pt
> >

> >Please use a character set tag in the <head> section of your web
> >pages. On Firefox on Linux they come out being interpreted as
> >ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8.

Sooo...the htaccess is not correct (and doesn't work). I changed
the /cgi-bin/navigate script to:

	print header(-charset=>'utf-8');

Now, jonadab, you need to edit and change permission on the perl module,
OpenClipart-Web.pm and then change this line:

	print "Content-type: text/html\n";

	print "Content-type: text/html\; charset=utf-8\n";

You can check if this is working by view page info and see what the
page's encoding is being read as in your browser.

By changing that perl module will effect the rest of the scripts in the
cgi-bin folder I believe. Jonadab, you might correct me if I'm wrong on
that.

For more info on html charsets: http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html

If there are anymore pages that are not printing out utf-8 for the
document encodings, then we should fix this.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)