[Clipart] AMD64 and Gentoo

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jul 9 17:52:16 PDT 2005

[Could someone please tweak the mailing list so messages are not marked as
coming from OCAL List and change it to something which might help our
search engine rankings like anything with the word "Clipart" in it.]

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Gavin Panella wrote:

> Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 09:41:19 +0200
> From: Gavin Panella <gavin at premolo.net>
> To: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> Cc: OCAL list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] AMD64 and Gentoo
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> I put a new ebuild up a few moments after the first announcement of
> 0.15.
>
> One thing though - there has just appeared an ebuild in the main
> Portage tree for 0.12, as x11-misc/openclipart. The main differences
> are:
>

> - That ebuild has several options (via use flags). You can choose what
> what file-types to install, and to compress or not. My ebuild installs
> the library as is, except for docs which are put into
> /usr/share/doc/openclipart-xxx.
>
> - My ebuild installs to /usr/share/clipart, and the one in the tree
> installs to /usr/share/clipart/openclipart.

It is wrong to assume we will be the only clipart collection ever and I
would recommend you use the path /usr/share/clipart/openclipart

This is something we very much need to get right now and stick with it.

> - The ebuild in the tree is in x11-misc, which is, IMHO, wrong. I chose
> media-gfx, but I may be wrong too :-)

sounds better, not that I know anything about gentoo.

> might be difficult seeing as there is already one in the tree. If
> you're talking to the right people, perhaps ask which is better of the
> above differences, and I'll merge the two ebuilds. Then we can submit
> the resulting Frankenstein Monster, erm, beautiful offspring.

sounds ideal.

If there is anyway for gentoo ebuilds to recommend but not require things
it would be a good idea to recommed a version of RSVG we dont crash (see
other thread.  I encountered something like this myself maybe a year ago
but managed to isolate it to a bad SVG and librsvg had already been fixed
but the problem was most distributions aren't up to date enough).

I should look at creating an autopackage.

--
Alan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/