[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] ANN: SVG_RenderTest 0.1

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Sun Jul 10 20:18:26 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 07:24:05PM -0400, mental at rydia.net wrote:
> Hmm, looks good.
>
> One issue that'll need to be addressed, though, is that not all the
> renderers are using the same initial DPI.

I notice that some of the renderers provide options for controlling the
DPI settings.  I'd welcome advice on how best to configure this.

Another issue I ran into was that the behavior of the renderers when
specifying the width but not the height varies quite a bit, as you can
see from the pngs.  Unfortunately, the behavior when you specify
arbitrary height and width also varies quite a bit from program to
program, so that isn't a solution either...

This is the reason that the mdiff scores are so high for Inkscape; it's
height/width handling is more inconsistent with the other renderers than
they are with each other.

Anyway, I think it could be coded around, but I decided to punt on the
issue for now.  Ideally, we'd get all the renderers to behave similarly.
More realistically, I think it may be necessary to pre-calculate the
aspect ratio and set height and width accordingly, but I didn't have a
clear idea on implementation so decided to leave it for a future
release.