[Clipart] PR for 0.16

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jul 31 13:57:46 PDT 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:14:11 +0300
> From: Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com>
> To: Open Clip Art Library list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] PR for 0.16
>
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > Whoa, I'm early...I've started the PR for this release:
> > http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PrAnnouncement
> >
> > Please add your contribution to the project from this month and anything
> > necessary and/or relevant. What theme should next month have...is there
> > anything we should push for?
>
> thinking at another recent thread, how about "pr0n" as a theme for the
> next month? :D

Hardcore pornography in vector graphics would probably be very popular
particularly on mobile devices, you might even be able to make a living
out of it.  Pornography would be a hell of a way to generate publicity
fast but probably not exactly what we are looking for and probably better
served be a (quietly) affiliated project.  It is only a matter of time
before artists start using Inkscape for _all kinds of artwork_ I am only
suprised we have not heard of it being used to draw erotic art before now.
While I'm mentioning mobile devices, give it time and I bet we will see
phone companies reusing bits of OpenClipart.org for the logos the sell to
their customers, I'm certain there is modest amounts of money to be made
from all this Public Domain content but I'm not sure how.

> well, ignore me, it seems I am in a "bad jokes" mood :p

If a famously erotic "Birth of Venus" is good enough for Adobe I do not
see any reason to discourage tasteful nudity so long as it is properly
tagged and we can make it so that users need to opt-in before seeing it
(like how google does with their safe search).

Also anatomical drawings could be very educational and semi realistic
people parts could be very useful for composing other drawings and could
be a clever way to make use of groups (and layers).  You never know,
someone might have already hidden nudity in the collection, peel away
the layers and see if they are like action figures or if any cheeky
artists have made their work anatomically correct.  :)

It may be summer now but drawing skeletons would be useful for Halloween.
:0

I've no problem with nudity (preferably female) but there are certainly
times when I'd prefer if people kept their sex lives to themselves and
OpenClipart.org would definately be one of those times. :P

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/