[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] google SOC

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Jun 15 22:28:17 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 22:00 -0500, aaron at ekips.org wrote:
> Greg Steffensen wrote:
> > Aaron- for searches that actually produce results, try "food", "symbol" or
> > "animal". And when you run it from within Inkscape, when does it crash?
> > Immediately?
>
> Awesome. When a search returns results, the script is really cool. I
> think we need to work on the searchability of OCAL. Should someone (me?)
> write an xmlrpc server for searching OCAL?

Please talk more with the ocal devs about this. Right now we are working
on DMS as a solution for what you are trying to do, and what you, Aaron,
are commenting on. See this doc for where you could help out with this
development (help wanted!):

http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentManagementSystem

> As far as crashing Inkscape, I experienced crashes for the same reason
> in two different circumstances. Inkscape seems to be crashing when an
> extensions returns a null document. First I experienced a crash when
> Inkscape couldn't find ocal.py, which I had stored in
> ~/.inkscape/extensions, because it was looking in
> share/inkscape/extensions. And second I experienced a crash when I
> clicked the close button for the OCAL Helper window. I think the crash
> indicates a problem with Inkscape and not your script.

Yes, I think that Inkscape is crashing when a script returns a non-zero
status. See the Inkscape bug...unfortunately sf.net seems to be down,
but the bug is on the top of the stack about extensions and
crashing...filed by me, rejon/kidproto.

Jon