[Clipart] Where to install?

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Fri Jun 24 05:45:35 PDT 2005

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Matthew Gates <matthew at porpoisehead.net> writes:
>
> IMO, the way OO.o currently handled this (as of version 1.x) is a
> kludge we would do well not to follow.  It was a good interim solution
> for OO.o to support *something* for clipart, but it is IMO not a
> long-term solution.
>
> Does the new OO.o 2.x still do things the same way?  If not, it may be
> worth looking at how they do it now.  If they're still doing it the
> 1.x way, I'd not bother with that, as it will obviously have to be
> changed eventually.

OOo 2.x uses exactly the same system for the gallery as 1.x

>>Yes.  The question is - what forum is best?  Having some co-ordination
>>between Gnome and KDE would be a good place to start.  I suppose this
>>sort of thing is the realm of freedesktop.org?
>

> Yeah, I think so.  If freedesktop.org specifies it and Gnome, KDE, and
> a couple of applications follow it, it should catch on and become a de
> facto standard.

We are building a collaborative area between the free graphic
applications at create.freedesktop.org.
We can try to get this location defined as a first project under
create.fd.o umbrella.

At this moment the two major users of OCAL images are (my guess)
Inkscape and Scribus, and their developers are in close relationship, so
I would expect a standard to be easily reached. If we can add GIMP in
the mix, all major graphic application in Open Source will be covered
and it will become a "de facto" standard.

--
nicu