[Clipart] release 13 coming up

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Mon May 2 12:31:30 PDT 2005

Andrew Archibald wrote:

> I think it's more of a problem that the XML declaration and the
> DOCTYPE are missing - that's just not a good idea, and it could
> be part of what's giving viewers the fits.  (Is XML::Twig really
> this broken?)

I wasn't worried about the missing DOCTYPE, because there doesn't
seem to be much point specifying a DTD that the file won't validate
against.  If you look at the example of an SVG file with RDF metadata
in the SVG specification (in section 21), you'll see that it has no
DOCTYPE.  I would be surprised if this causes a problem for any SVG
viewers.

However, it has since occurred to me that simply stripping out the
DOCTYPE may lose the SVG version number, if this isn't specified as
an attribute of the 'svg' element.  I think we should be keeping this
information.

By the way, I can't even view these files in Inkscape 0.41.  I think
it probably depends on which versions of libxml and/or Expat Inkscape
is built with.

Holger Will has told me that the files don't work in Mozilla's native
SVG implementation either.

--
Stephen Silver