[Clipart] getting pictures into abiword

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Nov 13 08:27:24 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form wrote:

> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:30:43 -0800 (PST)
> From: Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form <noreply at openclipart.org>
> To: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: [Clipart] getting pictures into abiword
>

> Name: Mark Jones
> E-mail: mjones at nusd.org
>

> Hi all-
> I'm a sixth grade teacher looking for a suitable replacement for
> MSWord (we can no longer afford licenses) Abi word seems to be fine
> for our purposes but I need a good clipart source for the program,
> which is where you come in :>) I've successfully downloaded the .exe
> Windows install app and that went fine. All the clipart is in svg
> format and I can't get any of the pics to open, let alone get them
> into Abi word. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The abiword developers are the best people to ask questions about using
Abiword but as it happens you are in luck and I'm quite familiar with
Abiword.

Abiword has support for importing SVG graphics,
Insert
  Picture
    From File...

(Please Note Carefully: abiword also has a built in option to Insert what
it calls "Clipart" but that is not what you really want in this case.)

It is possible you may need to install the Plugin pack for abiword but I
am fairly sure SVG import is included by default.
Download the Abiword Import Export plugins
http://www.abisource.com/download/
(make sure you use versions of abiword and the plugins where the version
numbers match)

If you have any more problems with Abiword please contact the abiword user
mailing list.  mailto:abiword-user at abisource.com
In case your problems are already known issues you might also want to
check the bug tracker at http://bugzilla.abisource.com or read the Abiword
FAQ http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Abiword/AbiWordFAQ

Thanks for choosing Abiword and OpenClipart.org too :)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com