[Clipart] Navigation in the OCAL

Petr Vaněk petr at scribus.info
Fri Sep 2 12:49:36 PDT 2005

Hi all in the OCAL list

I've got some enthancement proposal for you. First I would like to show you
some background.

I'm working on the OCAL browser for Scribus (www.scribus.net), Open Source DTP
software. RFE:

There is functional solution:

And there is one big *BUT*. Current solution of the online OCAL browsing is
based on the HTML parsing. This is very slow and bug vulnerable (webdesigner
can change layout and we are screwed ;)) etc.
I suggest to create auto-updated index file situated e.g.
http://openclipart.org/clipart/navigation.xml with current directory
structure of the OCAL server. I've created some example file for my old
clipart snapshot on my hdd. You can see it (250kB):

Fileinfo in this format allows using timestamps in local cache, nice GUI
presentation etc.

I know that something like this stuff will helps me (as developer) a lot.
Any thoughs or suggestions?

Petr Vanek

p.s.: I've used partly modified Dave Pawson's GPL script

Petr Vanek
www.scribus.info - petr at scribus.info
www.yarpen.cz    - petr at yarpen.cz

Kuolema Kaikille (Paitsi Meille)