[Clipart] Clip art suitable for kids

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Sep 13 13:44:03 PDT 2005

John Mizell wrote:
> If a tag on the image to mark it if possible objectable material is
> contained in image that would be easy to filter out. Objectable material
> could contain the following: sex related, objects or gestures depicting
> religious or cultural demeaning symbols (swastika, middle finger
> extended on hand, etc), George Carlin 7 words used in image. You could
> simply have a tag called "objectable" with a value of yes or no. I would
> like to help. I can add or edit tags if you have a tutorial on how to do
> this. I have inkscape installed if that helps or if I can do it by
> command line that would work as well. Would you be willing to host the
> "sanitized" version at openclipart.org? Also I think the openclipart
> community needs to agree on what the new tag should be named.

Well, I doubt that we're going to have a tag "objectable", because, that
is relative.  But, I think something like "sex", "hand gesture", "nazi",
etc. would all be appropriate.  That would allow other people to make
various collections based on what they find "objectable" while
maintaining your set also.

We're using the metadata keywords to find the information.  In Inkscape
you can find the location to put those in "File->Document Properties".
All files you download from Open Clip Art should have many of those
filled in.

I'm not sure that we have a process for easily changing keywords right
now, it is still a manual process.  But, I think that if you would join
the mailing list and provide a list of recommendations it would be
listened to.

I have no problem hosting other sub-collections on openclipart.org, but
I would like to hear what other people on the list think about this.

		--Ted