[Clipart] clipartbrowser 0.41

Greg Steffensen greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 02:20:27 PDT 2005

I'm releasing another version of the clip art browser. Lots of bug fixes,
some performance improvements, code cleanups, and a new installation
procedure (yes, yet another).

Installation is now 3 steps, and hopefully easier than ever:

1) Satisfy the dependencies of Python 2.4 and PyGTK 2.6.

2) Download and run the following script, which installs the python
setuptools:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py

3) Run "easy_install clipartbrowser"

As you can see, I've switched the installation system from Makefiles to the
python setuptools. The setuptools are still under development (they're
apparently going to be included in python 2.5), and I'm still very much
learning how to use them, so the packaging isn't as polished as it needs to
be, but this makes installation a breeze. Eventually, it should allow
arbitrary python dependencies to be intelligently installed as well using
the same process.

I'm still working on getting this integrated back into the Inkscape effects
menu, that's next on the list. As always, feedback greatly appreciated.

Greg