[Clipart] SVN or CVS to get the repository?

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Sep 20 06:56:50 PDT 2005

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> > Our plan is to put out an "update release" most months that
> > includes just the new or changed clipart since the last release;
> > the last two months we have not done this (the first time because
> > of some technical limitations, and the second time because I just
> > forgot), but I've written it into our release procedure so that
> > hopefully it will be done in the future.
>
> Yeah, I wonder if it makes sense to only release the update package
> now?  That way each release has unique files and changes, and will
> encourage installing all previous versions of our packages (or
> rather, the last full release and future releases).

Any time we do any sorting/re-org, it is beneficial to put out a full
release.

> Our packages have now broke the 100 MB size, and it is becoming
> cumbersome to ship these packages.  Also, I wonder if we should even
> build the packages with PNG files anymore.
>
> I'm all for streamlining...but am curious to hear some other opinions.

Here is what I'm thinking:  our approach up to this point ships too
many *combinations* -- both the full and the update release, with and
without PNG images, in zip, tar.gz, tar.bz2, and .exe format.

I'd like to cut down on that, not by eliminating any of those
individual things, but by reducing the number of combinations.

For instance, we could ship the full release with PNG thumbnails in
.zip format (the most generally-usable version), the full SVG-only
release in .tar.bz2 and .exe formats, and the updates-only SVG-only
release in .tar.gz and .zip formats.  Or something like that.

The full .zip release with the thumbnails is, at least for now,
probably the only one it makes sense to torrent, but it should
also be available via http, like the others.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/