[Clipart] Who can do the 0.18 release?

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Wed Sep 21 11:08:16 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 09:26:04AM -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> Short version:  I won't be able to do the 0.18 release, at least not
> if we stick to the usual schedule.  If someone else can step up to do
> it, that would be great.  Otherwise we may end up skipping a month.

I can help with it.  The next two weekends look fairly light for me;
I'll keep them free to help work on this.

Maybe once you've gotten your machine back in shape, you could help me
one weekend to get dms better integrated with your scripts?  There's
some logic in the cgi's that I think would be valuable to package up so
we can use it with DMS.

> Long version:  remember that problem I had a couple of months back,
> that I "fixed" by doing a fresh install on a new drive?  It's not
> fixed, and neither the drive nor the filesystem was the real cause of
> the problem.  I think it might be the IDE controller, which of course
> is onboard.  A motherboard is a purchase with a lot of implications,
> so I'm going to take my time and make my decision carefully.

I just got a new barebones system from newegg.com, that I got for a good
price and pretty quick shipping.  The techies I've talked to seem to
consider newegg.com the good place to buy from these days; I did some
comparisons with other sites and newegg's prices seemed pretty good,
even with shipping factored in.  They also have a good selection of
stuff, and I was able to get exactly the specs I was looking for, and
saved several hundred because I could exclude stuff I didn't need (FD,
CD, etc.)

Also, be aware that motherboards these days are including 'PCI
Express' slots.  These slots are tiny compared with regular PCI slots,
so some motherboards are using those in place of regular PCI slots.
Unfortunately, I've yet to need a PCI Express slot so I'd avoid
motherboards that have more than one of those slots.

Anyway, if you'd like to bounce motherboard ideas around, ping me off
list.  I've been looking into such things a lot lately both for work and
personal needs and would be happy to share notes.