[Clipart] Use of ClipArt in HeadCase

Elliott Bignell elliott.bignell at t-online.de
Sat Apr 29 01:54:25 PDT 2006

Couple of mails that should have gone to the group and I sent to Bryce
instead. (Duh.) :

1) FYI this is an example of evolved shapes from the HeadCase gallery:
http://www.loanedgenius.com/evolution.gif

///////////////////////////////

2) Yes, I couldn't just drop it in fully-formed right now. Firstly,
conversion
to SVG is a new area for me and I suspect the learning curve is fairly
steep. The components in question render to a Windows DC. Secondly, they are
COM components and will need some adaptation if they are to run
cross-platform. I've set the mutation rates to levels that are really
macromutations, which would offend an evolutionary purist, but that's a
trivial thing to alter.

Also, I deliberately used COM components with a common interface which can
be loaded from a list in the registry, in order for third parties to be able
to create their own components. I think that feature would be well worth
retaining. The evolutionary aspect works on the same principle as Richard
Dawkins' "biomorphs" - the component itself generates a set of 25
"descendants" which are displayed in a gallery exactly like all the other
ClipArt. When a descendant is selected, the component is notified of the
choice of a numbered descendant and adopts its properties then renders
itself AND a new set of descendants. Not rocket science, really. What
remains to be done is to convert the primitives such as flower and eye to a
composite pattern that can be aggregated into whole faces and plants, or
whatever. Then it will be really powerful.

I'll start working out what is needed in a public release for people to be
able to work with the components.

Best wishes...
Elliott