[Clipart] Licence problems?

Florent Monnier fmonnier at linux-nantes.fr.eu.org
Tue Aug 15 11:58:40 PDT 2006

Hello,
> But I find some difficulties for practical usage of OpenClipart.org
> resources.
As long as I have understood, the OCAL website shouldn't be considered as in
its final state. It's in current development (there's a migration of the
backend).

> In example, I am writting small application and I want some simple
> graphic for icons, like "save" "load" "password" "lock" "delete" and so
> on. And now
You could use the icons set of either the applications using GTK which are
considered as belonging to the Gnome environment, or the icons set ot the K
applications using Qt which belong to the KDE environment.

I don't know if the G icons are SVG or bitmap, but it seems that for the
K-apps everything is in SVG.

For licensing issues about these sets of icons I don't know.
(It seems it hasn't been included (as file or as links) in OCAL yet.)
What I can say is that I have seen the K icon set used in proprietary
softwares yet. I don't know if it is legal or not. If it is public domain
like OCAL, it is.

> 1. I have trouble finding such images, IMHO the search engine could be
> improved or redesigned some how
>
> 2. License... Most resource do not have any License informations, so I
> do not know.. can I use them in commercial project?

It is simple: everything in the OCAL (Open Clip-Art Library) is Public-Domain
CC-pd  ::  http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain

If you have suggestions to do about the design of the OCAL devel web-site,
I guess the development team would be pleased to get these, but do suggestions
about the devel one (not the old one):
http://openclipart.org/cchost/
http://openclipart.org/cchost/?ccm=/media/tags/art

--