[Cctools-cchost] Re: [Clipart] big checkin
jon at rejon.org
Thu Feb 16 19:01:55 PST 2006
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 16:41 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:31:46AM -0800, Victor Stone wrote:
> > I've got a pretty big checkin brewing, touching a lot of files in the
> > system on my way to adding language support we talked about and
> > optimizations.
> > The latter especially is pretty sweeping with lots of little changes all
> > over the system, including the templates (most heavily upload.xml)
> > delaying queries using AJAX, etc. (btw I'm already seeing 2x
> > improvements on my dev machines in displaying records on my way to the
> > goal of 5x.)
> > I'm hoping to get these checkins ready to go by early next week but
> > at one point we had talked about a v1.1 release of ccHost last week, and
> > then this week; so.....
> > I wanted to do two things:
> > - alert folks that these changes are coming
> > - ask folks if it's better to hold off the checkin until after the
> > release or hold off the release until after the checkin...
> >From OCAL's perspective, I think we're going to be running right on CVS
> for a while, so whether you cut a release before or after will not be a
> factor for us.
> As a general rule, though, I tend to prefer seeing large/sweeping
> changes going in immediately after a release rather than right before,
> because that maximizes the amount of time available for testing those
Yeah, me too. We have had good luck with that with Inkscape
I am anxious however to get the new changes in the upcoming release.
Hmmm...ok, I have CHANGED MY TUNE and think we should cut the release
now before the big changes.
VS, and others, what do you think. Bryce, you helped to change my mind.
Now, I think we should go ahead, update the documentation and cut the
version 1.1 release. Then, use that tagged version as the release. Then,
we can accept patches against that version and apply those as well to
the head. This is a little different then a freeze, but would allow us
to both get a more stable release, and continue with development over
If you all agree, VS, we should coordinate if there are more fixes,
update the ChangeLog, and then I will tag the release hopefully tomorrow
around noon tomorrow. Then, after that happens, normally development may
proceed. Then, we could proceed with a release for SUNDAY/MONDAY with a
couple of days for testing. (NOTE: I'm anxious to keep the main tree
open so that Bryce and others can commit this weekend. Also, VS can then
commit the big changes), agree?
Does that gel with everyone?
San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net
Open Clip Art Library (www.openclipart.org)
Creative Commons (www.creativecommons.org)
San Francisco Art Institute (www.sfai.edu)
More information about the clipart