[Clipart] Sea of Subjectivity

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jan 29 12:43:45 PST 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Matthew Gates wrote:

> Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:59:36 +0000
> From: Matthew Gates <matthew at porpoisehead.net>
> To: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Sea of Subjectivity
>
> On Sunday 29 Jan 2006 10:16, B Kreps wrote:
> > > So what do you propose? To create from scratch a new backend?

<Snip>

> unnecessary copies.  It's quite a big problem IMO - I believe it
> should be a goal to minimise the size of the download - both for the
> sake of saving bandwidth/load on the server, and for the convenience
> of users.

The compressed packages (Zip, Gzip and Bzip) should take care of this,
because the more duplicate files the more tightly things can be
compressed.  Downloaders shouldn't have to worry much about the extra
overhead of a few duplicates.  While it would be good to reduce some of
the duplication and reduce the disk space required some of it was
intentional to save users the minor hassle of modifying the files
themselves.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan