[Clipart] blur

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Wed May 17 06:52:49 PDT 2006

Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form wrote:
> Name: Grant Walker
> E-mail: gwalker@
>

> Hello,
>
> Been using Inkscape and like it very much. Also use GIMP, Open
> Office, Pixie and MySQL.
>
> But, how do I do a Guassian Blur in Inkscape? I read instructions
> that came with the program but cannot get it to work. Where can I
> find good documentation on node editing and making a blur?

A question about using Inkscape is best asked on the Inkscape users
mailing list: inkscape-user at lists.sourceforge.net

As an Inkscape user, I will try to help, but the subject is offtopic
here, on the Open Clip Art Library:

- unfortunately, Gaussian Blur is problematic in Inkscape: the proper
way to create this effect is to use SVG filters, and Inkscape has not
implemented SVG filters, developers are interested in this feature, but
it was not added yet. I can mention a couple of workarounds:
i. use the Effects -> Blur Edge (you may have to enable in Preferences
the experimental Effects menu)
ii. use the dropshadow extension, which will create a blurred shadow as
a bitmap

- for node editing, see the relevant chapter
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/ch08s03.html#Paths-Editing-Node
from this wonderful manual
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/index.php

--