[Clipart] Admin policy - banning/unpubish/deleting

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Nov 13 23:17:32 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 09:57 +1000, ryan wrote:
> We need everyone’s thoughts on maybe setting up some guidelines for
> how to go about moderation of uploads that are against the guidelines
> of the open clipartlibrary. I hate to be the admin that deletes
> peoples uploads without warning and without feedback on why, that’s
> how you scare people away… at the moment, I try to send them an email,
> or a review telling them why their upload is not so good, and how to
> fix it, or to delete it.
>

> We need to stay on top of this, as the library balloons out, it will
> be harder to track down these files.

Yes, totally!

> The top files that I have problems with are:
>

> * People uploading non svg files – png and jpeg etc.
>
> * Uploads that have an imbedded raster image in them
>
> * Uploads that contain copyrighted ideas/materials

Yep, I think your strategy is smart. I have two ideas:

When we set something for ban, we should be able to set the status of
the ban with a few different states (INVALID, NEED_TO_FIX, REPLACE, etc)
and a switch for a timed delete if no change is made to the file.
Ideally, we would give people 1 day to fix their upload and then it will
be automatically deleted. We should have control over the time for
deletion without user-changes to the file.

The 2nd idea is to have a general admin interface to review what is
currently banned.

What do you all think? If you like, please help me out by filing them to
ccHost as feature request ;)

Ryan, would these help in solving this? Also, I think we should promote
heavier what is considered against our guidelines...thoughts?

Jon