[Clipart] idea for clipart requests and implementation

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Mon Oct 2 23:09:00 PDT 2006

Gerald Ganson wrote:
> I've been thinking for quite some time now that we should encourage
> people to upload bitmaps of their clipart that they wish to donate to
> public domain. There are probably a lot of artists out there who work in
> bitmaps, or draw on paper and then scan.

I just posted another message with an improved (IMO) vectorizing method.
I think is best to start with a black and white pen-on-paper drawing
(more about this at the end of the message).

> We could include more of these folks in the project, and encourage them,
> by having a method and location to submit these. Knowing that not
> everyone will always be made into a vector for the collection, but many
> may be. I think it would be fun, and productive too.
>
> I have done this with a few already, where I downloaded a PNG from
> ABIclip, and vectorized, added colour, cleaned up, and edited to my
> tastes, then re-uploaded to OpenClipart in SVG.  I claim credit only for
> the SVG, and the original illustrator as the artist. (ABI in this case)

For some of the images you added *a lot* of original work, keeping only
the *idea* from the original image.
I think this vectorization work could be easily done by beginners, you
are very skilled and I feel it would be a waste of your time.

> Perhaps there is a way to formalize this credit process too.
> Illustration by..., and vectorization by...

About 1.5 years ago I did this myself as part of an experiment, started
with a drawing with pen on paper http://nicubunu.ro/pictures/rpg/rpg.jpg
and ended with a full image
http://nicubunu.ro/pictures/rpg/inkscape_rpg_map.png
At the time the process was documented on my blog:
http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2005/04/game-map-editing.html
http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2005/04/game-map-editing-part-deux.html
http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2005/04/game-map-editing-finale.html

--