[Clipart] Bis: About using your images only for intern using anddemos

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Oct 13 01:02:12 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 09:26 +0300, Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> ryan wrote:
> > We seem to be getting these "can I use your images for this ..." emails more
> > and more. Do you think it would be warranted to put a eye catching Public
> > Domain logo on the site, and a link to a brief, simple explanation of what
> > public domain is, so people don't get confused so easily?
>
> The very first text one can see on our website is:
>
> "This project aims to create an archive of user contributed clip art
> that can be freely used.
> All graphics submitted to the project should be placed into the Public
> Domain according to the statement by the Creative Commons."
>
> I thinks this is good enough, we can put an icon
> (http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/pd.png), but anything else would be too
> intrusive. Putting a big "FREE!!!" text or icon would make us look like
> scam sites which attempt to install spyware.
>
> IMO, the "problem" is we are too disruptive, people are brainwashed by
> the copyright cartel and just can't believe we are releasing content
> absolutely free, without requiring anything back, and ask for confirmation.

Yeah, I agree...however, I think we could make a nice mockup of how we
want our front page to look with bigger graphics explaining quickly how
our site works and what we are about.

Look at the creative commons website (while the current version is not
very good), the main components are "PUBLISH. FIND." Thus, I wonder if
we can take a similar reductive approach to both GET. SUBMIT, or
something like this.

Maybe more like:

ABOUT: (one sentence clearly about the project)

SUBMIT. GET FREE CLIP ART.

Before, we primarily emphasized that you could submit clip art which
is/was a novel strategy IMO. I don't want to lose the prevalence of
allowances for submissions rather than just getting "takers" of our art.

Do you all agree?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org