[Clipart] Penguin with a shirt

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Wed Sep 6 04:26:49 PDT 2006

Peter Mathijssen wrote:

> Most of the time i am just a reader of the list, but... I submitted a
> penguin image to the new cchost list and it was questioned because it
> had the name Tux in it. That was ok by me, because i didn't realise that
> tux is copyrighted. I deleted the image from cchost.

All this so-called "Intellectual Property" is very complicated and
confusing.
Basically a name cannot be copyrighted, it may be protected by trademark
and, as fair as I know, the word "Tux" is not protected by trademark (as
an opposite, the word "Linux" is trademarked).
Copyrighted can be a certain image, for example a certain drawing of the
Linux penguin, like the traditional Tux by Larry Ewing:
http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/ (but that particular image is
released under a very liberal license ("Permission to use and/or modify
this image is granted provided you acknowledge me lewing at isc.tamu.edu
and The GIMP if someone asks")

> I tried to contact the admin, to talk about this, but i guess something
> went wrong with my message.

*How* you tried to contact the administrator? An email to a generic
address, the contact form on the website, bugzilla?

> I now uploaded the same image and named it "Penguin with a shirt". It
> has nothing to do with Tux, it is just a bird of the same family. I
> guess not all penguins are Tux-es, if that is correct English. ;-)
>
> I hope this time the bird stays :-)

Personally, I can see no reason for the bird to not stay.

--
nicu
my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/