[Clipart] licenses for new site

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Sep 6 21:01:23 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 13:07 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 11:21:28AM -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > So, on our current site we have everything, including the text, images
> > and clip art being released into the public domain.
> >
> > SHould we continue in this way, or license the infrastructure,
> > information, etc, around the clip art (which will continue to be public
> > domain) including blog posts, text, reviews, etc, as Creative Commons BY
> > (attribution) or BY-NC (attribution noncommercial)?
> >
> > What do you all think? I think that we should license everything else on
> > the site under CC BY (attribution).
>
> I agree that stuff separate from clipart should be under a more
> protective license.  I don't know what CC BY means, but some sort of
> copyleft like GPL would be fine.
>
> Bryce

GNU licenses are for software ;) This is the one thing I've learned by
working for CC :) CC licenses are for content ;)

Ok, how about CC-BY (attribution)...Means that if someone uses something
of ours other than clipart they must give us credit :) They can still
use for $$$ and make derivatives...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org