[Clipart] tag you're it (fwd)

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Sep 7 08:43:04 PDT 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Michael Moore wrote:

> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 23:45:19 -0600
> From: Michael Moore <stuporglue at gmail.com>
> To: Open Clip Art Library <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] tag you're it (fwd)
>
> > > I'll bet there are some other fun games that could be developed though.  :-)
> >
> > True...do you have any ideas? Our new interface would be awesome and
> > easy to add to.
>
> Maybe, at least maybe somewhere to start at.
> http://stuporglue.org/downloads/ocalgame.png
>
> It's sort of like the game Taboo, in reverse.

Looks good.

> The objective is to guess all the currently existing tags.

> Auto adding all guessed tags that aren't in the list could lead to a
> bunch of misspelled tags, spam tags, etc. If this were really a way to
> add tags, maybe the tags should only show up in the grey list, and as
> meta-data on the clipart if the tag is guessed multiple times.

I do wonder about this too but there is some advantage to having mispelled
tags as search queries are also likely to be mispelled.  Spam tags are a
little harder to deal with so I guess you need some way for people to mark
a tag as good/bad/neutral but then we still face problems with correct but
contraversial tags such as "nazi".

> Thoughts?

Tough problem to solve absolutely so it makes more sense to only try and
get something that sort of works and hope to improve it later.

One of things which did annoy me about the google image labeller was how
my list of comma seperated tags was mis-interpreted as one big tag so I
hope any new game can avoid that mistake.  (Haven't reported it to them
yet, they should know better.)

--
Alan