[Clipart] Regarding the possibility of hosting a contest

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Apr 4 09:36:16 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 15:13 +0100, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> Thanks, guys!  I'm glad everyone seems excited at the idea.  It's just
> what we needed.

Great!

> On 4/3/07, Nicu Buculei (OCAL) <nicu at apsro.com> wrote:
> > I think the first thing SOM will need is a logo for the project.
> > Once the logo is chosen, a lot of derivative graphics (banners, buttons,
> > badges,icons etc.) can be made using it as a base. This step may be
> > without contests (as the overall look was already defined in the
> > previous step).
>
> Indeed.  Let's establish the logo has the first goal of the contest.

Excellent!

What is the timeline? Can you provide some concrete times for this logo
competition so we can plan it out and sync with you all.

> Regarding SOM.  It's a project to promote open media formats,
> especially Xiph's, but SVG should be promoted too.  SOM will be a mix
> of Spread Firefox (campaigns, banners, stuff) and Mozillazine
> (community, forums, blogs).  We'll be hosting some content, but I
> believe we'll rely mostly on Wikimedia Commons to provide content and
> to host content under free licenses/PD.

Great! Can you contact me at my cc email to discuss how Creative Commons
can work with you on this? jon at creativecommons.org

> SOM's website will be available at //spreadopenmedia.com -- right now,
> it's just running a few tests with the Joomla CMS system, as we don't
> have much content yet.  It's hosting, however, our 10 top reasons to
> why open media matters, including the funny "I'll kill the Bunny"
> thing.

Would you consider running ccHost? ccHost has all the features you are
seeking and would be a brilliant boost to this project. There is
internationalization, it is specifically a CMS with community features
and doesn't have to be assembled so much like joomla.

> Yes, the winner of the logo contest should be credited and get reputation :)
> It's only fair.

Great!

> What other questions may I answer?  What else can I do to help getting
> the contest going?

Cheers!

Jon